The right meal

Tonight's meal needs to satisfy the hunger of 4 adults. Of these 4 adults one is a diabetic, one works as a ship fitter and should probably eat a lot more calories then he does, one of us is a long boarder and only likes meat. Than there is me. I have a gluten insensitivity (boy do I try to pretend I don't), GERD and have been told by the doctor; "you are on the verge of being a diabetic" and "you now should eat an anti-inflammatory diet".

I've done a great job of ignoring all of this advice and running away for the last few months. My body really hurts, my family is starving and moody. It's up to me to figure this out. Well I'm taking it on since I understand how food works.

GERD is the thorn in my side.

The rules for GERD; Highlights taken from WebMd

  • avoid trigger foods 
  • bake or broil instead of fry
  • smaller portions
  • serve water with meals
  • eat slow and walk after bigger meals
  • eat 4 hours before bed
The rules for anti-inflammatory; Dr Weil's actually has a fantastic write up, here are the highlights
  • Eat a variety of fresh foods
  • limit processed foods
  • Eat large amounts of fruits and vegetables
  • Include carbohydrates, fats and protein in each meal  
The rules for a diabetic: you can read more about them from the CDC. They've done an impressive write up. 
  • breakfast - 45 to 60 grams of carbohydrates - this all depends on caloric intake
  • lunch - 45 to 60 grams of carbohydrates
  • dinner 45 grams of carbohydrates
  • snack 15 grams of carbohydrates
Dinner last night
I had boil chicken, shredded
about 1/2 a cup of cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons of sour cream
2 flour tortillas
1/2 pound of steamed broccoli

I didn't have heart burn until this morning after 1/2 cup of coffee. I'm not ready to give up coffee. ha! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happiness in the Tummy

GERD - I feel like I'm underwater looking up